Following my post yesterday about indoor circuit training ideas, when the weather is too cold, wet or both to venture out, here is a lovely recipe that fits nicely with one of those days too. This Shepherds Pie will warm you from the inside out!
Hearty Shepherds Pie for Chilly Days
This shepherd’s pie recipe is packed full of multicoloured vegetables for a burst of healthy antioxidants. Tomatoes are packed with Vitamin C and Lycopene which are important for heart health, and the sweet potato topping is full of beta-carotene, which is great for the skin and for your general health.
- 500g Lamb Mince (if you are vegetarian you could substitute Quorn mince)
- 25g coconut or 25ml olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 200g finely chopped tomatoes
- 150g chopped button mushrooms
- 150g chopped courgettes
- 150g chopped red peppers
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 100g cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Finely chop the onion and
cook in oil until soft.
- Add the mince and brown. Add the stock to browned
- Stir and add the chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, courgetttes and peppers,
finely chopped parsley, salt & pepper.
- Cook on a medium heat for approx. 10
minutes. Peel, cut into small chunks and boil the sweet potatoes until soft.
- Mash sweet potatoes with black
pepper. Put mince into a rectangular oven dish and cover with the mashed potato.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add grated cheese on the top
of the potato and cook in the oven for a further 5-10 minutes.
Serve with an array of fresh
If you would like to receive regular updates from me with healthy eating tips, recipes and exercises you can do at home, please sign up for my regular newsletter, which goes out every two weeks or so.